Pages

Saturday 12 July 2014

That was no telemarketer!



          So now I've sent off the fax to Pam, and it's only a matter of time before I find out if I've opened up a can of worms or been an answer to prayer. I'm 45 years old, so why has it taken me so long to do this? What was the hesitation? Well, when I was around 20, I got the non-identifying information from Children's Aid, and I did go ahead with the next step which is to register to meet her. But they had indicated that there was no registration yet on her part, and now with it being 25 years later and I still haven't heard from Children's Aid, I could only assume that she had no interest in connecting. Given the circumstances of the pregnancy and that I was kept secret I just thought that she had closed the book on that chapter of her life and chosen to forget about me. Thinking that way kept me from contacting her and dropping a bomb in her life. So for me to send off that fax was a big risk, not so much for me, but I would think for how she might respond and how it might affect her present situation.

           Later that day I noticed an odd number on call display. My heart dropped to the floor when I saw the Bermuda 441 area code in the number, but was totally confused that it was sort of in the middle of the number. I checked out the internet to find out what the 011 area code was and the top websites mentioned telemarketers calling from overseas. Oh, that makes sense, I seem to get so many calls from them, this was probably just a new company trying to get a hold of me. Or so I thought.


            Now it’s Thursday, May 8, 2014. There’s that number again on my call display, and even on my answering machine this time, a hang-up. They must have had several calls going at once and didn’t get a chance to hang up before my answering machine got to it. No big deal, these telemarketers are persistent. Now it’s after 9 pm, and there’s that number again. Okay, this is becoming a nuisance, I’d better just pick up and that way they’ll drop my number from the automated calling system. So in a pleasant voice, which is pretty unusual when I’m expecting it to be a telemarketer, I answer with a melodic "Hello." 
“Is this Gwen?” 
"Yes it is." 
“I got a fax from you yesterday.” 
Gulp. 
“Is this really Sherry Lee, my daughter?” 

Wow, that was NO telemarketer!


1 comment:

  1. Wow that really brings on the watershed! Powerful.

    ReplyDelete