Pages

Thursday 26 March 2015

A Gift to be Enjoyed


Many of us are excited that it is now officially spring. Not only was this past winter difficult for us, with the brutal extreme cold temperatures that seemed locked in for weeks on end, but for me, it was quite possibly the most difficult season of my life. 
I was battling emotional and physical exhaustion with dealing with my aging Canadian mom who transitioned from palliative care in the hospital, to a post-hospital stay, then finally to retirement living. Being on the front lines dealing with her transition took its toll on me and some of you are even aware of how our family has been personally hurt due to the declining health of my mom. Throughout this though, I am so grateful for my friends and family, who are cheering me on, supporting me, and keeping me in their prayers. 
I also have my birth mom by my side, encouraging me to go on, reminding me this can be normal with aging parents, and that things will indeed work themselves out and get better. I find myself more and more drawn to her motherly advice, love and encouragement. At times I have to keep my emotions in check and ask myself if I am "rebounding" as a result of a deteriorating relationship with my Cdn mom, but then I remind myself that Pam is a gift given to me by God. He foreknew all that would take place and I believe He brought her into my life "for such a time as this", to help me weather the storms and be a constant source of encouragement and joy in my life. No longer can I feel guilty for wanting to hear from her, for wanting to share my joys and my pains, for wanting to build that mother-daughter relationship. I need to just accept this relationship and this wonderful person for what and who she is, a gift from God. 
And gifts are meant to be enjoyed.





No comments:

Post a Comment